April 24th, 2015
In 1875 The Lone Star State Government was getting cramped in its Old Capitol. The Texas Constitutional Convention Set aside 3,000,000 PanHandle Acres to Fund a New Capitol. Action Dragged until Fire destroyed the Old Capitol Building on November 9th, 1881. Governor Oran Roberts called a Special Legislative Session & Texas “Struck a Bargain” with Charles & John Farwell of Chicago in which they agreed to Build a $3,000,000 Texas State Capitol in Return for 3,000,000 PanHandle Acres as payment. This Became the XIT RANCH.
During the 1880s the XIT RANCH was the Largest Range in the World under Fence. It’s 3,000,000 Acres Sprawled from the Old Yellow House HeadQuarters, near what is now Lubbock, Texas, NorthWard to the Oklahoma PanHandle. The XIT RANCH covered Portions of Ten (10) Counties which Perpetuated the Myth the Brand XIT stands for “Ten-in-Texas.” The Brand, in fact, Originated to Thwart Rustlers because it was Impossible to add to the Brand & Hide the XIT.
Texas, the Biggest State in the Union, used the Sale of the Ranch Land to Pay for its Red Granite Capitol, the Largest State Capitol on the North American Continent. The Austin Structure continues to House the Lone Star State Government & is 2nd in Size only to the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. In One Respect, the Texas Capitol is bigger than the U.S. Capitol. The Texas State Capitol Dome stands Seven (7) Feet Higher.
In 1885, the First Cattle, “Long of Leg & Long of Horn,” rolled onto the XIT RANCH. Thousands of Hooves drummed up the Trail & the LongHorns were Pushed onto the No. 1 Division Headquarters at Buffalo Springs, 32 miles North of Dalhart. At One Point, the Ranch had 150,000 Heads-of- Cattle. The Corrals, Foreman’s House & BunkHouses at Buffalo Springs, still Stand Today & are the Oldest Structures in Dallam County.